Personal Research Project
This course has been specifically designed for WAPE
This course is meant for students eager to engage in a personal project
that brings them closer to the world of research. The research project
extents over 4 months. Students are expected to spend one day a week in
one of the height laboratories of the Institut Pierre Simon Laplace:
• Laboratoire Atmosphères, Milieux, Observations spatiales ( LATMOS )
• Laboratoire inter-universitaire des systèmes atmosphériques ( LISA )
• Laboratoire de Météorologie Dynamique ( LMD )
• Laboratoire d'océanographie et du climat ( LOCEAN )
• Laboratoire de physique moléculaire pour l'atmosphère et l'astrophysique ( LPMAA )
• Laboratoire des sciences du climat et de l'environnement ( LSCE )
• Laboratoire Structure et fonctionnement des hydrosytèmes continentaux ( SISYPHE )
• Laboratoire Interactions et Dynamique des Environnements de Surface ( IDES )
A supervisor or “Maître de stage” individually monitors the
project. Each student acquires on his/her own the concepts necessary to
successfully carry out the project and to contribute significantly to a
piece of research of international standing. This objective requires a
strong motivation and personal dedication.
The theoretical, experimental or numerical research projects may be of
a fundamental nature as well as applied. The topics encompass all the
fields under investigation in the eight laboratories: meteorology,
climate, air quality, water, ocean, energy …
Each project is proposed by a researcher, the "Maître de stage"
or supervisor. He guides the study and facilitates the understanding of
the new concepts necessary for the completion of the project.
The updated list of subjects will be presented on the WAPE web site,
then students interested in this course may obtain details from the
program directors or directly from the "Maître de stage" or
supervisor for each project.
Projects are individual and their number is limited. They are assigned
to the students according to their inclination after an interview with
the person in charge who will collect also the opinion of the
"Maître de stage". Selection is mainly a function of the
motivation of the student.
The project is evaluated on the basis of a final report that should
highlight the main scientific results and of a 30mn oral presentation
followed by 15mn of questions. The defence committee is composed of the
person in charge of the course, the "Maître de stage" or
supervisor and a faculty member.